Counting words and characters from Word or Google Docs is essential for making papers and articles with a minimum number of letters. Both Microsoft’s and Google’s text editors have a built-in feature that reports this amount.
However, if you prefer, you can use online tools that also do the job. AppGeek shows you how to count characters on both platforms and also indicates the best options for free online counters. Check out!
How to count characters and words in Word
Use of the feature may vary slightly depending on the version of Word used. But, save for a few nomenclatures, the step-by-step is essentially the same in all of them.
1. Open the Word document in which you want to count characters;
2. Note that at the bottom of the document there is some information. Among them, the number of words. Click on it;
3. A box with more information about the text will open. The tool shows how many pages, words, paragraphs and lines the document has. In addition, it indicates the number of characters with spaces between words and lines included and without spaces.
If you want to know this same information from just a portion of the text, select the desired part with the mouse. Note that two pieces of information will appear in the xxx/yyy word count bar, in which the first indicates data only for the selected content.
When clicking on the box, only the data of the section will also be displayed. To view information about the full text again, click anywhere in the document to deselect it.
If, by chance, you don’t see the word count option in the bottom bar of Word, you can go another way. on the tab Revision, patch me count words. This method works for both the complete document and selected snippet of text.
How to count characters and words in Google Docs
In Google Docs, by default, the word and character counter is not as visible as in Word. However, you can always make it visible or consult it only when you need it.
1. Open the Google Docs document in which you want to know the number of characters;
2. Patch me Tools and, in the menu that opens, click on word count. If you prefer, you can access the feature with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + C;
3. The tool displays the number of words, pages, as well as characters with and without spaces between words and lines. If you want the resource to always be visible, check the box next to the option Show word count as you type. confirm in OK;
- If you just want to check, just close the window at the end of the query.
4. Soon, a box will appear in the lower left corner of the screen. When tapping on it, the other data will appear. To omit the feature, just click on hide word count.
If you want to know the character and word information for just a snippet of text, just select it. Then, just consult the word counting tool, as indicated above.
Online Word and Character Counter
If you use a text editor like Word Pad, which doesn’t offer built-in word and character counters, online tools can be a good alternative. Just copy the text from the program, access the website and paste in the location indicated by the service.
Check out the best service options that allow you to count characters online.
With a beautiful and easy-to-use interface, the Word Counter automatically counts words and characters in real time. The service also offers a repeated word counting tool.
The tool also indicates, at the top of the editor, if the number of letters exceeds the limit allowed on sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google’s meta-description. There is also a text review feature, compatible only with content in English.
How to make letterhead in Word
As the name implies, the Character Counter it’s simple and easy to use. Just paste the text into the message box. Automatically, the service indicates the amount of characters with and without spaces, words and lines. Any changes made, whether including or excluding letters, are displayed instantly.
How to make a summary in Word automatically and edit in ABNT standards
The character counter is just one of the dozens of tools offered by the platform. Invertext. Just like the example above, just paste or compose the content. Then you instantly know information about characters (with spaces), words and lines.
The service text counter CounterWords Free it’s quite complete. When pasting or composing content in the text box, information such as words, characters, sentences, lines and paragraphs is automatically displayed on the side of the screen.
But that’s not all. Numerals, punctuation, number of pages and average silent or aloud reading time are also counted. When scrolling the screen, the user has access to the statistics of the words used, with an indication of repetitions.
Character count data
It is common to request documents or works with a limited amount of words and characters. But these numbers may sound vague. After all, how many words is there on a page? And how many pages are 5000 characters long?
According to the Wikipedia article on page, an article that follows the ABNT standards can have more than 3,000 characters on an A4 page. In this case, it is necessary to use Times New Roman or Arial size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
The answer, however, may vary. It depends on factors such as font type and size, spacing used, number of skipped lines, size of margins, among other things.
So, with so many options available, the best alternative might actually be to use a character counter. Only in this way is it possible to be sure of the number of letters and words in your text.